The founders of the University Foundation expressed their wish to strengthen the spirit of academic and scientific collaboration by creating a meeting place for university professors and researchers from throughout Belgium as well as from abroad, where they could also meet with eminent members of civic society.
In 1922 this wish led to the establishment on the premises of the University Foundation of a University Club that offers administrative services but mainly creates the opportunity for useful and friendly contacts.
In elegantly furnished rooms members can meet colleagues and guests. In a pleasant reading room, daily and weekly newspapers, as well as scientific reviews, are available.
- The Club contains a restaurant, open for lunch, which offers a good choice of menus to members and their guests. For academic members, as well as for academic associations and research organisations, smaller rooms are available for lunch meetings, with a capacity of six to eighty guests. These rooms must be reserved in advance.
- The wine cellar enjoys a good reputation, for quality as well as for price. The quality-price ratio is very attractive.
- The hotel has 14 recently renovated rooms, available to members, Belgian and foreign, and to their guests.
- Several meeting rooms, with capacities ranging from 10 to 100 persons, can be made available for academic activities organised by members or by scientific or academic organisations and institutions. Only a moderate fee is charged.
- For a number of years the University Foundation’s Club has had special links with similar clubs abroad, enabling our members to use their facilities
- The Club is conveniently located near the city centre.
The architecture and organisation of the restaurant have kept their traditional character, inspired by the English clubs. The main purpose is to create an atmosphere where our members can meet their national and international colleagues and guests in stylish and pleasant surroundings. We strive for a spirit of mutual understanding, whatever the language, nationality, or philosophy.